Interview with Amanda

Monday, May 19, 2014

It is my pleasure to introduce yet another very talented designer...drum roll please....Amanda! Well, my love for her designs is pretty direct, well, it's almost love at first sight. I am very impressed by her clever way of combining the color palettes and patterns of different fabrics. Amanda seems to have the magic touch :)

Amanda's beautiful yet affordable (!!) work can be found in Fleur Envy boutique, so come and see them yourself, I believe you will be just as impressed!


Aloha Amanda! Tell us how did you first get started?

I learned to sew in high school - but just recently got back into it about two years ago.  I am constantly amazed by all the beautiful fabrics out there - and once I started buying them I couldn't stop! I started making quilts and zipper bags for family and friends and had such a positive response that I decided to open my own shop.  I love combining unexpected fabrics and making high quality items that are each individual and special!  I've had an Etsy shop set up for several years, my initial plan was to sell handmade paper goods - but I never got around to it.  I just started my current venture last November!


What inspires you?

I am inspired by fabrics and fashion trends!  Like I said before,there are so many beautiful fabrics out there - once I have them in my hands I'm inspired to make new products!  Usually I just HAVE to start cutting into them the very day that I receive them in the mail.


The word “handmade” – what does it mean to you ?

To me, handmade means a product that is made with lots of love and care.  Handmade items are so very personal - I love to make them and gift them as gifts - and also to purchase them for myself and for my family and friends! There is just something so special about opening up a package and seeing a beautiful item that a real person spent so much time making!



Tea or Coffee for you?

Both! I start my day with a big cup of coffee and then drink hot tea in the late morning and early afternoon!  I prefer Irish Breakfast Tea and regular old Folgers coffee What can I say, I'm an exciting girl! I also love herbal tea before bed.  I try and drink a lot of water throughout the day - if I don't pay attention coffee and tea would be the only thing I would drink!  Right now the weather is starting to turn towards spring and I'm thinking of iced coffee in the mornings!  YUM!


Can you describe your work in 3 words?

Perfectly imperfect and unique! The very best things about handmade!


What is the best piece of advice you have for a young budding artist/designer ?

My best piece of advice? Oh, I have lots of advice! There are so many things that I've learned along the way - and so many things I've learned from other handmade sellers! At the top of my list would be to experiment and try new things! Not everything will turn out exactly as you had planned - but if you treat everything as a learning experience you'll definitely benefit in the long run! Also, I would say to always trust your gut and to always make items that you love! If you spend your time making items that you don't love and aren't proud of all the fun in a handmade business runs out fast! First and foremost, always remember why you starting making and selling handmade items in the first place!



What do you read?

I read most anything I can get my hands on. Currently I have about four different books I'm reading - a mystery, a romance, a memoir and a young adult novel. I am an equal opportunity reader, lol! I just finished up "The Goldfinch" and "The Fault in Our Stars" and they were both amazing! "Dad is Fat" by Jim Gaffigan is another recent read that I loved! If you're a parent I would say that you'd relate to about 99% of the things he writes about in this book - and you'll definitely laugh out loud many, many times (which is why the people in the airplane with me last time I was traveling all thought I was a crazy lady!). I always like to mix in a few funny, light reads among all the heavy stuff. Oh! And, "The Book Thief" - that is a must read!


What is your work process like?

I am a full time working Mother and Wife so my handmade work mostly takes place in the evenings and on weekends (when I'm not at my "day job"). I am set up in our dining room - mostly so that I can work on my handmade items while still spending time with my family! My shop is something that I do completely for fun - and so I try not to take myself too seriously and I never set regimented hours (unless I have a big order to fill). That's what's so awesome about having a handmade business - you can make up your own rules! Luckily my family tolerates my dining room mess!  I prefer to make one item at a time rather than making several items in bulk. While making things in bulk saves time - it always ruins part of the fun and creative process for me. The only time I do assembly line type work is if I'm filling a large order. Most of the items that you see in my shop are items that I've taken the time and care to make individually.


What is your favorite color and why?

How can I pick one favorite color? I am SO not a favorite kind of person! Once I think one thing is my favorite I immediately change my mind! Maybe that means I have some sort of issue, huh? I do love turquoise and pink. Those would be my two favorites right now. Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably say something different! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share