Interview with Heather Moore

Monday, June 23, 2014

I just love Heather's simple yet astonishing designs. Flowers! Yes, I love floral designs, crazy about them! Her designs are just so delicate, adorable and colorful that you wish you could bring everything home! You can now enjoy premium quality handmade Skinny LaMinx products in Australia. Just head to Fleur Envy. Cheers to Heather, for such outstanding designs!

Aloha Heather, tell us more about yourself and your work. They are just amazing! How does this exciting journey starts?


After 10 years of illustration, I needed a change, so in 2006 I took a half-day job as a comics scriptwriter. I spent the rest of my day messing around with paper cutting and screen-printing in a studio that I shared with a couple of painters. I started blogging about what I was making, and opened an online shop on Etsy. People around the world started reading my blog and buying my things, and I got some wholesale orders to the USA, and suddenly I found that I was a designer with a design business.By 2010, my business had grown a lot, and I was very relieved when Pearl Thompson joined the business, taking over the operational side of things so that I could concentrate on design and communications.


What inspires you?

My inspiration comes from ordinary, everyday things like cactuses, teacups, staircases and vibracrete walls. I usually have a notebook with me, where I make sketches, and I take a lot of photographs of textures, details, juxtapositions and compositions that seem to give me ideas. Follow me on Instagram at @skinnylaminx to find out what I’ve been looking at lately.



The word “handmade” – what does it mean to you ?
I think that ‘handmade’ means that way a finished object comes into being requires individual care and attention, and it is not just one of a million exactly the same.



Tea or Coffee for you?
I start the day with a great cup of coffee, but thereafter it is lots and lots of tea!



Describe your work in 3 words
Simple, patterned, clean and clear: inspired by ordinary things.



Who has greatly influences your work?
I’ve always been a big fan of UK designer Orla Kiely, New York potter (and maximalist) Jonathan Adler, as well as of a range of mid-century designers.



What do you read?
ELLE Decoration UK (I’m a huge fan)
New York Magazine (it’s a weekly. Relentless! Fab!)
Becoming Animal – David AbramThe
Goldfinch – Donna Tartt
Paris was Ours – Penelope Rowlands


What is your work process like?
It is easy to get caught up in the day-to-day running of a business, and stuck on the email treadmill, so I try to put aside Fridays as my day for doing non-work-related creative work, where I can simply make whatever takes my fancy. I find that the things I make in non-directed time like this are often put away for a bit, and then brought out later and built upon, when the time is right. I like to keep a sketchbook with me, and often find that quick sketches I make on the fly end up as starting points for everything.



What is your favorite color and why?
I like colors in combination, so while I don’t really like pink, I do like pink and brown together. I may not think a lot about orange, but when teamed with the right grey, it’s so evocative.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share